Wednesday, August 22, 2012

PRAYER OF THE DAY


O Excellentissima

O most excellent, 
glorious, 
most holy and ever inviolate blessed Virgin Mary, 
Mother of our Lord Jesus Christ, 
Queen of the world, 
and Mistress of all creatures! 

Thou who forsakest no one, 
despisest no one, 
who leavest in sadness none who seek help at thy hands with pure and lowly hearts; 
do not despise me because of the number and hatefulness of my sins, 
do not abandon me on account of my grievous iniquities nor on account of the hardness and uncleanness of my heart. 
Do not refuse me, 
thy servant, 
a share in thy favour and thy love.

Hear me, 
a wretched sinner, 
who trusts in thy mercy and pity. 
Help me, 
O most loving Virgin Mary, 
in all my perils and needs, 
and obtain for me from thy beloved Son, 
Almighty God and our Lord Jesus Christ, 
the forgiveness of all my sins, 
the grace of the fear and love of thee, 
health and chastity of body, 
and deliverance from all the dangers which beset both soul and body.

In the last moments of my life be thou my kind helper, 
and save from eternal darkness, 
and from evil of every kind, 
my poor soul, 
and the souls of my parents, brothers, sisters, friends, relatives, and benefactors, 
together with the souls of all the faithful, both living and dead; 
through the grace of Him whom for nine months thou didst bear in thy most holy womb, 
and Whom thou didst place with thy holy hands in the manger, 
Jesus Christ our Lord, 
to Whom be all honour given for endless ages. 

Amen.


(100 Days, once a day. ii.--Leo XII, January 30, 1828)