Tuesday, April 15, 2014

PRAYER OF THE DAY

Prayer On Tuesday of Holy Week

[The special prayer either before or after the Tuesday evening meal
is a selection from Psalm 21:13-22,
in which we see through the eyes of David the picture of Christ suffering for us on the Cross.]

Many bullocks surround me;
the strong bulls of Basan encircle me.
They open their mouths against me like ravening and roaring lions.
I am like water poured out;
all my bones are racked.
My heart has become like wax melting away within my bosom.
My throat is dried up like baked clay,
my tongue cleaves to my jaws;
to the dust of death you have brought me down.
Indeed, many dogs surround me,
a pack of evildoers closes in upon me;
They have pierced my hands and my feet;
I can count all my bones.
They look on and gloat over me;
they divide my garments among them,
and for my vesture they cast lots.
But you, O Lord,
be not far from me;
O my help,
hasten to aid me.
Rescue my soul from the sword,
my loneliness from the grip of the dog.
Save me from the lion's mouth;
from the horns of the wild bulls,
my wretched life.