Wednesday, December 15, 2010

PRAYER OF THE DAY

Blessing of the Christmas Tree

[Gather around the unlighted Christmas tree.
Begin your service by singing, "O Christmas Tree," or any favorite carol or hymn.]


Reading: "Thus says the Lord God: I myself will take a sprig from the lofty top of a cedar; I will set it out. I will break off a tender one from the topmost of its young twigs; I myself will plant it on a high and lofty mountain. On the mountain height of Israel I will plant it, in order that it may produce boughs and bear fruit, and become a noble cedar. Under it every kind of bird will live; in the shade of its branches will nest winged creatures of every kind." (Ez. 17:22-23)

Prayer: Creator God, Your Own Son is the tender shoot that grew to become a majestic cedar. As birds find safety in the giant branches, so we find shelter and comfort in Your Son. We thank You for sending us Jesus, our Tree of Life. Amen.

Blessing: Lord God, bless this tree in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. May it remind us throughout this holy season that Jesus is our Tree of Life. (Turn on the tree lights)

As we turn on the lights of our tree, we are reminded that Jesus, our Tree of Life, is also the Light of our world.

Amen.